This is not a comprehensive list of monuments, but a selection of sites chosen for their connection with important historic events as well as unique architectural features. This list will change as more information is gathered. A more complete list of buildings is available here.
ضريح علي اصغري
Shrine of Ali al-Ashgar and al-Hadba (Matson (G. Eric and Edith) Photograph collection at the Library of Congress. 1 January 1932 American Colony Photographers)
مشهد الامام عون الين
This shrine or mashhad is attributed to the reign of the Atabeg Badr al-Din Lu’lu’ and is known as the shrine of Ibn al-Hasan. It is dated by inscription to 645/1248. The now partially destroyed building was best known for its beautiful carving and an elaborate wooden cenotaph. It was studied and photographed by Herzfeld and Sarre in 1907 and Yasser Tabbaa in 1997. The square domed building is similar in plan to the Imam Yahya ibn al-Qasim mashhad (see above) while a similar type of carved corner detail is found in the Mar Behnam monastery (see below).
Shrine of Imam Awn al-Din. Interior view showing stalactite on door to side iwan. Yasser Tabbaa Archive, courtesy of Aga Khan Documentation Center at MIT.
Mosque and Tomb of al- Imam Muhsin مسجد وقبر الإمام محسن
The Mosque and Tomb of al-Imam Muhsin was founded by Badr al-Din Lu’Lu’. It was originally the site of Madrasa al-Nuriyya of Nur al-Din Arslan Shah ibn ‛Izz al-Din Mas‛ud.
مسجد النبي سيث
This Ottoman shrine was located outside of the city gates in the Ottoman section of the city. It was rebuilt a number of times and surrounded by a large graveyard.
Mosque and Shrine of Imam al-Bahir مسجد وضريح الامام الباهر
Located in the Shaykh Fathi quarter, the shrine or Mashhad of al-Imam Bahir was frequently rebuilt. Its tomb bears an inscription with the date 1299/699. It was one of number of shrines associated with the reign of Badr al-Din Lu’lu’. When it was rebuilt in 1940, the tomb’s mihrab and portal were moved to Baghdad.
Model @Oriental Institute Czech Academy of Science, Nyx Alexander Design, www.monumentsofmosul.com
Shrine of Imam Yahya ibn al-Qasim مشهد الامام يحيى بن القاسم
The shrine of al-Imam Yahya ibn al-Qasim was built in 637/1239-40 during the reign of Badr al-Din Lu’lu’. and destroyed in 2014. Once adjacent to the madrasa al-Badriyya it was one of many Imam shrines supported by Badr al-Din Lu’lu’ in the city. Famous for its brick and tile work and muqarnas dome, the building was located in the north part of the walled city and near other shrines and churches. The building was destroyed in 2014.
View from the northwest. Yasser Tabbaa Archive, courtesy of Aga Khan Documentation Center at MIT
ضريح مار بنهام
Located in a-Hamdaniya, this shrine and church is the best preserved medieval church in Mosul. Noted for its beautiful architectural carvings and a long history of ecumenical activity, the building was one of many medieval shrines associated with curing waters. It was recently reconstructed by Fraternite en Iraq.
Monastery of the Martyrs Mar Behnam and Mart Sarah, Yasser Tabbaa, Aga Khan Documentation Center at MIT
Mosque of Mujahid al-Din /Jami al-Khidr مسجد مجاهد الدين / الجامع الأحمر
Known by a variety of names–Jami’ al-Mujahidi Mosque, Red Mosque, Mosque of Khidr, Jami’ al-Rabad–this building was once part of a sprawling group of buildings along the banks of the Tigris outside of Bab al -Tibn. It was founded in 1176/572 AH by a Seljuk atabeg, Mujahid al-Din Kaymaz al-Rumi.
Jami’ al-Mujahidi, prayer hall, Yasser Tabbaa Archive, courtesy of Aga Khan Documentation Center at MIT
مسجد وضريح النبي جورج
الأضرحة بانجا علي
Tariq Jawad al-Janabi dissertation (Studies in Medieval Architecture, 1975) courtesy of University of Edinburgh, information services.
مسجد مشهد النبي يونس
Located in Ninevah, some thirty minutes away from Mosul, the shrine was destroyed in two separate attacks in 2014.
Shrine of Prophet Jonah, sometime between 1950-1977. Source: Library of Congress
قبر شيخ قديب البان
Located outside the city walls, this mosque and shrine has a long history of frequent rebuilding, the most recent was in 1959. Dedicated to the famous antinomion saint, Shaikh Qadib al-Ban al-Mawsili much of the building was destroyed by an ied in 2014.
Destruction of Darih and Marqad of Shaykh Qadib al-Ban